Wednesday, October 5, 2016

October Technique - Bleach

 This month's Technique Club uses common household bleach. Remember to be very careful with bleach, not to spill it or get it on your skin, clothing, or other surfaces.
Before starting, I decided to experiment with different types of black ink for my base image.  Some sources I looked at said to use Staz-On, others suggested heat embossing the image first, and still others didn't stipulate any particular ink.  (Oh - one more thing!  It's a GOOD IDEA to wear an apron!!!)

Memento Tuxedo Black was the least successful.  The bleach lightened the black lines, and the image looked smeary.  I think the VersaFine Onyx Black probably came out best, but Staz-on Black and FunStampersJourney Black Licorice Fusion worked well also.

Step 1:  Stamp image on colored card stock.  Different colors will yield different results.  I test the bleach on a corner of the colors I'm thinking about using first.  The dark blue and red I tried bleached to an ivory or yellowish color.  I didn't try black, but I think that would give a rather striking effect.

Step 2:  Using a small paint brush (not one of your GOOD ones!!) or a cotton swab, lightly paint the areas you wish to lighten.  I found I have more control with a brush...I go out of the lines more with a swab.  As the bleach dries, the color lightens.  For lighter color, go over the area again after it dries.

Step 3:  This may be as far as you want to go, but if you want to add a bit of color, I recommend wax-based colored pencils.  I think the bleach might continue to work on markers or watercolor, but not sure.  That's an experiment for another day!  Here's my final sample, using a touch of green on the leaves:

Bleach can also be used to stamp with, using a "stamp pad" made of bleach-moistened folded paper towels on a saucer or other non-porous surface.  Clean your stamps well with water after stamping with bleach.

No comments:

Post a Comment